Some things only happen once in a lifetime, and permanent teeth are on that list. When a tooth is knocked out, many people think it’s gone forever. Actually, with fast action and quality emergency dental care from Big Smile Dental, the tooth may be savable.
What should you do in case of a knocked out tooth?
- Call Big Smile Dental immediately if you are in the Chicago area. There is a possibility for reattachment, but the window of opportunity is narrow, so it’s vital to seek emergency dental care ASAP.
- You can clean the tooth by rinsing it very gently in tepid water. Always handle it by the crown (the part you see). Never touch the tooth root or remove any tissue that is clinging to it.
- Rinse your mouth gently with tepid water as well.
- If possible, place the tooth back in its socket. Be careful that you don’t get it backwards, and never force it. If it won’t go back in the socket, you can place it in a clean container filled with milk.
- Take over the counter pain relievers, but do not exceed the recommended dosage.
- If bleeding persists, apply gentle pressure with sterile gauze.
- If there is swelling, use an ice pack applied externally to help control it.
Taking the above steps, and visiting our office immediately, will give you the best chance of saving your tooth. Unfortunately, reattachment is not always possible due to time, the condition of the tooth, and other factors. What happens if the tooth can’t be saved?
Don’t worry; we can make you a brand new one! Of course, we don’t yet have the technology to grow new teeth, but we have the next best thing. A dental implant topped with a cosmetic crown will look, feel, and function just like a real tooth.
Don’t hesitate – in case of a knocked out tooth call us at 773-772-8400 immediately. Big Smile Dental is conveniently located and provides emergency services for new and existing patients.