Invisalign can be a great solution for straightening your teeth especially with the invisibility and quick care that it offers. However, as a prospective Invisalign user, you may be a little concerned about how to clean and care for your Invisalign braces without having to buy expensive cleaners or cleaning systems. Here are some tips and tricks to answer all your Invisalign cleaning questions:
1. Once you have removed your aligners, place them in a glass of water. In case you are too embarrassed about having them in a cup, put them in a closed, container filled with water. Storing Invisalign braces in water can help get rid of clouding or discoloration that may occur during your daily wear. Make sure your braces are stashed completely in the water till you are ready to wear them again. This helps ensure that your saliva does not dry on the aligners.
2. Before you put your stored braces back into your mouth, rinse them in water and change the water in the container.
3. It is vital that you spend a few minutes every day to brush the outside and inside of your aligners. Put a dot of toothpaste onto a brush and brush your Invisalign aligners just like you would brush your teeth. Rinse them thoroughly under running water. Try to avoid using "gel" toothpastes as you may find it difficult to wash away the toothpaste.
4. Before you put your Invisalign aligners back on, clean your teeth to help ensure there will be no discoloration. Unless your teeth are clean, it is difficult to keep your aligners clean too.
5. You can also use a denture cleaner to clean your aligners. Soak your Invisalign braces in one tablet of the cleaner in the morning and another one in the evening. Make sure your aligners remain soaking for about an hour. Soaking during mealtime is a good idea since you will have to take off your aligners anyway. Do not do this if you see any major damage, clouding or etching on your aligners.
6. Other than denture cleaners, you can use a tablespoon of baking soda added to half a cup of water to clean out your Invisalign braces. Soak your braces twice a day for an hour each; again, meal time is the perfect time.
Taking good care of your Invisalign braces will help you keep your braces as "invisible" as possible.