Crooked teeth are no fun. On course, many people would say that braces aren't fun either, but we disagree. Our business is all about smiles, so we don't think that dental treatment should make you unhappy. That is one of the reasons that we offer a wide variety of orthodontic options. If you don't want to wear metal, choose ceramic brackets. If you don't want food restrictions, choose Invisalign. If the kids want cool braces, the can have colored bands or brackets. The list of options goes on and on. Simply said, we've covered our bases, and overcome your objections to braces. We even have a few tips and tricks to simplify your life during orthodontic treatment.
- Your aligners are removable, but that doesn't mean that wearing them is optional. They should only be removed for meals and oral hygiene – the less time you wear them, the longer treatment will take.
- Don't put you aligner in boiling water, clean it in the dishwasher, or otherwise expose it to extreme heat, or it may warp.
- Always brush your teeth before replacing your aligner after eating.
- Stay away from hard or sticky foods, and chewing gum. Anything that could break a wire, or that will be difficult to remove should be avoided. This includes popcorn, ice cubes, caramel, beef jerky, and hard pretzels.
- Don't hold objects between your teeth, or use your teeth to open bottles and packages.
- Tools such as electric toothbrushes and oral irrigators can help you clean under wires and around brackets.
- Avoid foods and beverages that cause rapid decay, such as soda and candy.
- Ask your dentist if you should be using a fluoride mouthwash to strengthen your enamel.
- If a wire breaks, call our office immediately. You may be able to reposition the wire with the eraser end of a pencil if it is poking you. If that doesn't work, use some gauze or cotton to pad the sharp end. Never try to cut off a broken wire, because fragments could go in your throat or lungs.
We care about our patients, and orthodontic (or any other) treatment comes with information, instructions, advice, and the support of your dental family. Call Big Smile Dental at 773-772-8400 and schedule an appointment to discover how convenient and easy straightening your teeth can be.