Tooth loss can be devastating, but it doesn’t have to be. Located in Chicago, IL, the dentists at Big Smile Dental offer dentures to complete and restore your smile. Each patient has unique needs. We treat each patient individually to meet their goals and create smiles that appear natural and beautiful. Dentures are a popular option to replace missing teeth. With proper care, your dentures can be a long-lasting replacement.
Preventing denture problems
Having dentures that fit properly is a crucial part of avoiding problems. With the talented cosmetic dentists at Big Smile Dental, your dentures are designed with you in mind. They fit, feel, and look natural. Once your dentures fit correctly, your goal is to avoid issues. Good oral hygiene is important for everyone, but especially for those who wear dentures. Following good oral habits keeps your mouth clean and healthy and aids in preventing denture issues.
Tips to keep your mouth healthy
It is important to care for your dentures appropriately. Proper denture care keeps your mouth and dentures healthy. With proper care, the longevity of your dentures is improved. Improper handling can lead to problems or damaged dentures. Here are tips to protect your dentures, and your oral health.
- Handle your dentures with great care. They are delicate and should not be dropped. When removing or handling them, avoid standing in the open. Hold them over a sink of water or a folded towel.
- Clean your dentures daily by brushing and rinsing them, but do not use toothpaste. Abrasive products such as toothpaste can damage your dentures. Toothpaste creates microscopic scratches that allow food and plaque to build up. Good oral care is necessary for natural teeth and for dentures. Brushing daily removes food particles and prevents the development of stains on your dentures. Only use a soft-bristled brush designed for dentures, as a hard-bristled one may cause damage. Brush gently around all parts of the denture but use caution around the attachments. Rinse your dentures after snacks and meals.
- Use a denture cleaner. When brushing and cleansing, you may clean your dentures with hand soap or a mild dishwashing liquid. Do not use household cleaners, bleach, or toothpaste, as they may be too abrasive. The goal is to prolong the life of your dentures, not shorten it. An ultrasonic cleaner may be used, but it should not replace regular brushing.
- Clean your mouth daily. Massage and clean your gums, tongue, and the roof of your mouth each day. This removes bacteria from the surfaces of your mouth. It also stimulates circulation. Rinsing daily with lukewarm salt water helps clean the gums. If you have a partial denture, remove it before brushing your natural teeth, so you do not damage the denture.
- Store your dentures appropriately. Proper storage and care is important when you are not wearing your dentures. When dentures dry out, they can lose their shape, so they must be kept moist. Place dentures in water or a soaking solution. Do not use hot water as they could warp. If your denture has metal attachments, follow your dentist’s recommendations for proper care, as some soaking products may tarnish the metal.
- Do not sleep with your dentures. Unless otherwise instructed by your dentist, do not wear your dentures when you sleep. Store them as stated above, or as instructed.
Call our office for more information
Adjusting to your dentures
Your dentures should fit comfortably, so actions such as eating, smiling, and speaking feel natural. With today’s technology, dentures look and function like natural teeth. Your beautiful smile is restored with dentures and your confidence gets a boost.
Shortly after getting your dentures, a follow up appointment may be needed to adjust them. Do not attempt to adjust your dentures yourself. Do not bend or try to alter the attachments, as it may weaken the structure. With proper care, your dentures should last several years without problems. However, as you age, your face, jawbones, and gums change. When this occurs, your dentures may need to be relined, rebased, or remade. Seek help from your Big Smile Dental team for your denture needs.
Whether you are considering dentures, or already have them, trust the exceptional team of renowned cosmetic dentists at Big Smile Dental! Schedule your appointment today. Call 773-772-8400.