Losing a tooth can be a traumatic ordeal, especially if it involves a sneaky curb and a close encounter with the concrete sidewalk. What happens after losing the tooth isn't healthy either. Your other teeth shift, your jawbone begins to deteriorate, and your smile suddenly looks like Swiss cheese.
Once, you've lost a tooth, what do you do? The answer is simple – replace it with a dental implant from Big Smile Dental. You might not think that sounds simple. The popularity of implants has skyrocketed within the last decade or so, leading many people to think of them as a new thing.
Sure, they seem to work, but how much have they really been tested? How long will they stay in place? Are there undiscovered potential risks? It might make you feel better to know that dental implants are far from new. And yes, they are considered very safe, effective, and predictable.
- The modern technique has been used, and improved upon for over half a century.
- The first patient to receive implants using this technique (in the 1950s) still had them at the time of his passing, four decades later.
- Millions of people have had dental implants placed.
- Over half a million more people get implants every year.
- According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, the success rate of implants is 98 percent.
Of course, there are potential problems with any procedure, or anything else in life. A few things that you should be aware of when considering implants include:
- Patients with extensive bone loss may need a graft to provide sufficient support.
- Smokers will need to quit before the procedure, or the risk of implant failure will be higher.
- Implants and porcelain restorations don't get cavities, but any existing natural teeth do. Additionally, the implant doesn't replace the gums, so infection (gum disease) is still possible. That means implants won't give you a free pass on oral hygiene – you still need to brush, floss, and attend your dental checkups.
- There is a curb along the street in front of our office, so please look before you leap out your car!
It's time to trade the Swiss cheese look for a dazzling Chicago smile! Call us at and schedule a consultation to find out if dental implants are right for you!