Dental emergencies can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere, but they always seem to strike when you are least expecting them – and completely unprepared. Moments ago, you were happily playing ball with a few friends, when the game suddenly became bowling – and your teeth are the pins. Or maybe you bit into a slice of pizza and it bit back…
Whatever the circumstances, you are in pain and you need help fast!
What should you do?
Call Big Smile Dental at 773-772-8400
for SAME DAY EMERGENCIES.
Every case is unique. Some problems such as a chipped tooth may be treatable in a single visit. Some problems like a toothache caused by extensive decay or gum disease might require a more complex treatment. Whatever the situation may be, we will take steps to get you out of pain ASAP, and then proceed with further treatment if necessary. Some of the most common procedures include:
- Extractions – We want to help you keep all of your natural teeth healthy, for life. Unfortunately, that isn’t always possible. If the tooth is too badly damaged to restore (or you opt to have it removed) an extraction can be a fast and comfortable solution. Once your pain is relieved, we can discuss replacement options such as a bridge, denture, or implant.
- Bonding – Painful chipped or cracked teeth can often be repaired with a simple, conservative bonding procedure. This may be a temporary or permanent solution.
- Medication – An infected tooth can cause excruciating pain, and it usually needs a root canal procedure to solve the problem. Depending on the circumstances, it may not be possible or practical to perform the procedure immediately, but antibiotics will provide temporary relief until the tooth is treated.
Dental first aid
You can minimize the pain, and sometimes prevent further damage, with a few simple first aid steps. If you have:
- Swelling – Use a cold compress on the affected area.
- Pain – Take an over-the-counter pain reliever, according to package directions. Don’t take too much, or place the pill against your tooth or gums. Clove oil can be applied topically for fast relief.
- Bleeding – Apply gentle pressure to the wound using a bit of sterile gauze. If the bleeding is severe, visit the hospital ER.
- Lost restorations – Denture adhesive or sugar-free gum can temporarily hold a crown or bridge in place.
- Knocked out tooth – Rinse your mouth and the tooth very gently, being careful not to damage any tissue still attached to the root. Place your tooth back in the socket, or in a container of milk, and bring it to the office with you.
In any situation, call us ASAP! We are open Monday through Friday, and a half day on Saturday for your convenience. Our hours of operation are:
- Monday - Thursday: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
- Friday: 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Remember, for same day emergencies call 773-772-8400
. We will get you out of pain and give you a reason to smile!